Mentor Mom Series - Kathy G.

Friday, September 19, 2014



Kathy G. is our Mentor Mom to be featured today!  Get to know her better by reading her answers to the questions below.

If you have any other questions you would like to see our mentor moms answer, remember them for our mentor mom panel in October - or shoot us an email - we may have them answer them in a future post!




Tell us a little about yourself.  How many kids do you have?

Hi there,  This is Kathy G.

I have 2 children.  My son Chad is 25 and now a CPA here in Denver.  So blessed to have him here in town.  He is not married but has a very nice girlfriend.  We do enjoy spoiling our Grand dog, Stetson, a Golden Retreiver.

My Daughter Kristin is 22.  She just graduated from college and started teaching second grade in Irving, Texas, for Teach For America.  She is also not married, but has a very nice boyfriend.  He is still in SanDiego and she is in Texas so time will tell??  She is very passionate about her path.  Ask me again at Christmas time.

It has been so awesome watching God work in my kids lives and putting them where he wants them!!

How did you originally get involved with MOPS?  How long have you been a mentor mom?

I originally started as a mentor mom with night mops because a friend of mine here at church was doing it and loved it. Interestingly enough, It had been on my mind but I just hadn't done anything about it yet.  I always loved being with Teri and fun fact we met when our sons played baseball together from grade school through junior high.   Her husband was one of Chad's best coaches.  I did night mops for one year and  I love being a mentor mom.  I moved to Day MOPS as my husband doesn't like being gone at nights so much, now that our nest is empty.

What was the hardest thing and what is the best thing you remember about the pre-school stage with your own kids?  Any encouragement for those of us who are still in this stage?

I have always had to work at not rescuing my children, especially my first child.   We Moms always want to protect them from everything, but sometimes we need to step back and let them take the reins.  It probably won't be our way, and they may make a mistake or have a hard time, but it is OK.  That was and is still hard for me, but they learn so, so much from doing it their way and from their mistakes.   I loved and still do love watching them become their own little people, making friends, playing creatively, just observing who and what God is making them into.  He has an amazing plan!!

My advise would be to sometimes take a breath, a time out and just time for you.  Everyone is happier if Mom takes care of Mom, and you deserve it.  Also remember it is OK to say NO.  If your aren't sure sometimes, ask God what he wants you to say and to make it very clear to you.  Enjoy your little miracles ladies, and I know some days are difficult - Breath and Pray!!

What is your goal as a mentor mom, or what is the main encouragement you hope to offer to MOPS moms?

My goal is to try and be the Mentor Mom that God wants me to be, to be aware of your needs and respond and react as God wants me to.  Being a Mom has been one of  the biggest and most amazing  blessings in my life - not always easy for sure, but awesome.  I hope to be able to listen, and love on you all as I would have wanted to be loved on and as God has planned for us - He will show us how to be ourselves Bravely this year.  God is there for you 24/7, so go to Him whenever you need to or want to and always be grateful.  Everyday, even on the tough days, there is always something to be grateful to Him for!! 

What is your favorite ice cream flavor (just for fun)?

Chocolate almost anything, but I think Chocolate Turtle Ice Cream and at Bonnie Brae Ice Cream - even though I almost never get there.  My mouth waters just thinking about it. 

Be You Bravely Ladies - Love and Blessings to you all this year!

No comments

Post a Comment