Mentor Mom Series - Sheryl D.

Friday, September 5, 2014




We are so excited to start a new mini-series here on the blog to introduce our mentor moms!  

These ladies have so much wisdom and encouragement to share, and we thought we'd tap into that wisdom a little more on the blog this year.  So we sent out some questions for our mentor moms to answer, and I have to say I have loved reading their answers (one perk of being in publicity is that I get a sneak peek of things like this)!  

This is your chance to get to know these amazing women a little better before our Mentor Mom panel in October.  So read on, and jot down any other questions you want them to answer.  You can ask them at the panel in October, or you can send them over to us for possible future mentor mom posts!

Our first Mentor Mom feature is Sheryl D, our lead mentor mom!




Tell us a little about yourself.  


I grew up in Denver, graduated from North High School, went to UNC for college to become an elementary school teacher, then taught 3 years in Webster Groves, MO.  While my husband was going to dental school at St. Louis University, we started our family.  After my husband finished his 2 years in the Navy, we moved back to Denver, settled in Lakewood, and the rest is history. :)

How many children (and grandchildren) do you have?

My name is Sheryl D.  I have 2 children - a son, Chris, who is a chemistry prof in NC, and a daughter, Lori, in heaven.

I have three grandchildren!  Ages 18, 16, 14 - boy, girl, boy.

How did you originally get involved with MOPS?  How long have you been a mentor mom?

I have been a mentor mom for 11 years - this is my 12th year.

Pat L. asked me if I would consider being a mentor mom, and the rest is history.

What was the hardest thing and what is the best thing you remember about the pre-school stage with your own kids?  Any encouragement for those of us who are still in this stage?

I remember being so busy with my preschoolers - hardly time to think!  I probably spent too much time worrying about how messy my house was.  It helped that the church I was attending at the time had a Mothers' club which was so helpful to hear I wasn't alone.  Remember, this too shall pass.  Enjoy it!  They grow into teenagers way too quickly!

What is your goal as a mentor mom, or what is the main encouragement you hope to offer to MOPS moms?

I just love to love on the moms and give you all encouragement.

What is your favorite ice cream flavor (just for fun)?

Favorite ice cream flavor:  mint chocolate chip, or anything with chocolate.



No comments

Post a Comment